Resetting your smartphone to its factory settings can be useful if you plan on selling or giving away your device, want to erase your personal data for privacy reasons, or are experiencing performance issues and want a fresh start. Today we’ll guide you through how to reset your Samsung Galaxy S24 to factory settings.
Why would you need to reset your Galaxy S24?
There are several good reasons to reset your Galaxy S24 to its factory settings:
- You’re selling or gifting your phone and want to wipe all personal data for privacy. A factory reset will securely erase contacts, photos, accounts, apps, and other private information.
- You’re experiencing technical issues or glitches and want to start fresh. Resetting can often resolve software bugs, lagging performance, constant crashing, or other system problems.
- You simply want to declutter your phone and remove unnecessary apps and files. A reset will delete all apps, accounts, and data and give you a clean slate.
- You forgot your lock screen password or pattern and need to bypass security. A factory reset will remove the security lock.
Resetting is an easy process, but remember that it will permanently delete everything on your device. So backup what you want to keep first.
Understanding the implications of a Factory Reset
When you reset your Galaxy S24 to factory settings, it will delete:
- All contacts, calendars, text messages, and call logs.
- Photos, videos, and other media files.
- Downloaded apps and associated data and settings.
- Accounts you’ve added, like email, social media, etc.
- Home screen customizations and settings
- Stored WiFi passwords and Bluetooth pairings.
The device will be restored to its original, out-of-the-box state. The only data that will remain are crucial system files and the Android operating system itself.
So before resetting, be absolutely certain to backup anything important using Smart Switch, Samsung Cloud, or a manual copy to a computer. Otherwise, you will lose those files forever.
Steps to resetting your Galaxy S24 to Factory Settings
Resetting your Samsung Galaxy S24 to factory settings can help improve performance. Here is how to reset your Galaxy S24 to its factory settings:
- Open Settings.
- Select General Management.
- Tap Reset.
- Choose the Factory data reset.
- Tap Reset again.
- Tap Delete all to confirm.
- If prompted, enter your PIN, password, or pattern.
- The phone will reboot into recovery mode to erase all data.
- After 10–15 minutes, the reset will be complete, and you can set up your phone from scratch.
Be patient during the reset process and do not interrupt it, or you could damage your device. The phone may restart several times before finishing.
Troubleshooting common issues during the Reset process
If you encounter problems while resetting your Galaxy S24,
- Stuck on the boot screen: Leave it for 30 minutes. If still stuck, force reboot by holding power and volume down.
- Asks for previous owner info: The phone was not properly factory reset before you got it. Do the reset again using hardware keys.
- Reset gets interrupted: Make sure to disable any battery optimization settings and remain plugged in during the reset.
- I can’t turn the phone back on: After a reset, the battery may drain completely. Leave it charging for 30 minutes before powering on.
- Errors or glitches: Soft reset by pressing and holding power, volume up, and the bixby button for 10 seconds to force a reboot.
Restoring your data after a reset
Once your Samsung Galaxy S24 has been wiped and reset, you can begin using it again. Be sure to:
- Reconnect to your WiFi and cellular networks.
- Sign in to your Google account to restore apps and data synced with your Google account.
- Sign in to your Samsung account to restore Samsung services like S-Health and Samsung Pay.
- Restore local backups from the Smart Switch, Samsung Cloud or your computer.
- Reinstall apps you frequently use from the Google Play Store.
- Customize the home screen and settings to your liking.
With your data restored, you can continue enjoying your Samsung Galaxy S24, which should now be fresh and glitch-free.
Resetting you Samsung Galaxy S24 to factory settings can resolve performance issues, remove personal content before selling, or give you a clean slate. Just remember to fully back up your data first and be patient during the reset process. Following the steps above will smoothly guide you through a factory reset so you can enjoy your Galaxy like new again.